Friday, February 03, 2012


Have you ever seriously studied an acorn? I know I've raked many of them in the fall and pulled out some fledgling sprouts (not wanting an oak tree growing in my flower garden.) An acorn in and if itself is not very inspiring unless we know that woven int the way it is made, there is something waiting to unfold that knows how to become an oak tree. An acorn is defined by this capacity. Every acorn yearns toward the full expression of its nature and uses all opportunity to realize its capacity to become an oak tree.

I recently had a health "scare" and began to notice that all the superficial things that I tend to worry about were mysteriously absent from my thoughts. I didn't care if the dishes were put away immediately after they were washed or whether we would be able to meet all our financial obligations for the month. I noticed that Charlie "was available" whenever I needed him and seemed much more concerned for my well being than normal. He hugged more, shared funny incidents of his day, and was very protective especially after I told him that he was my rock, when it came to facing uncertainty. We went through a long week of tests and waiting for results. My prayer life definitely increased, and I actively sought out my friends and family for strength and encouragement. I called the doctor's office three times to find out the test results. (Bear in mind that this girl has a very active imagination and is married to a "worse case scenario" kind of guy.) When "the call" finally came from the doctor that was normal it was such a great relief that I laughed and confessed that I had never been called normal before. My big strong "rock" of a hubby cried and cried and I was moved by his deep love for me. It was something I always knew but in that moment I saw his capacity to be an oak tree. (Something more than what I expected of him) that was always there but just needed the right soil and elements to be revealed.

I believe that God wants all of us to grow in wisdom and closer to Him. Life offers us many opportunities to make wise decisions if we pay attention. Paying attention is no simple matter, it requires us to not be distracted by expectations, past experiences, or early conclusions. I have to slow myself down, look at the situation, and remind myself that God is in control and I can trust Him to take me through whatever situation He places me.

Thank you for your prayers and support. We are going to Canada February 20th. We are flying stand-by so we expect to learn some new lessons in patience, trust and obedience. We would appreciate your prayers for our journey.

Not quite an oak tree yet,

Kathy

0 comments: